Thursday, June 17, 2010

Guiding Principles

I wish I knew how to imbedd this but I'm just  not there yet! But check it out- I think it adds something to the discussion.
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/because-every-country-is-the-best-at-something/

Well, I'm still struggling a bit with the volume of new things and the sense of urgency that I feel emanating from the readings etc. Not sure what I really feel about that yet. I'm still questioning... Really? Technology is going to solve all of our perceived "problems?" Is it really an answer or is it more of a tool? I strongly believe that it cannot and should not replace a teacher or hands on experimenting but I am excited about how it can provide more learning opportunities to students-especially mine- who are geographically quite isolated.

I have a strong streak of Thoreau in me and I really just need to get outside and THINK a bit more on it. However, it has been raining for DAYS here on the dry side of the continental divide.  I can't even take my kiddos out for a walk.  We are all feeling stir crazy!  But here's where I am right now in my process: 

1. I will strive to use technology for making learning more accessible, engaging or creating deeper meaning not just because it is "there."

2. I will work hard to make sure my students are safe in the digital world and understand how to interact within it with respect for themselves and others.

3. I will remember that technology is the tool not the answer and endeavor to convey it to my students- because they are the answer!

4. I will learn more about technology from and for my students so I can help better guide their learning.

1 comment: