Monday, June 21, 2010

I Heart Ted

A teacher talk at MSU for my Physics by Inquiry class turned me on to Ted. My current faves are Sir Ken Robinson talks on creativity and Jamie Oliver on teaching kids about food. I can see the potential for using these in the classroom because they are so captivating and compelling. I also really like the TV program "Big Ideas for Small Planet." I downloaded a episode to show to my students about kids ideas for helping the planet and they were so excited that they developed and carried out 5 different service projects from making recycling bins for classrooms to protesting the use of styrofoam in the cafeteria (that didn't make me any friends) to organizing a "Go Green with Less Machines" day. Kids are amazing when they're given wings.

My husband is an avid traveler and has planned to take each of our children on a special trip to mark their 10th birthdays. Our daughter is 10 today and has been requesting a trip to Costa Rica's Monteverde Cloudforest. Check out this Ted talk about rainforests. Oddly enough... Our daughter's been telling us for 2 years that she's going to college at Evergreen State (no idea where that came from, we're just along for the ride here).. and this researcher teaches at...

Evergreen. Sometimes you kick the universe and sometimes it kicks you. Happy Birthday, Lala!

No comments:

Post a Comment