Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Starship and the Canoe

My husband has badgered me into an explanation of the blog name.  So, it's a book about Freeman Dyson- by Kenneth Brower.  Freeman Dyson is a world-renowned astrophysicist. The book explores the divergent lives of Freeman and his son, George, who at the time lived in a tree in coastal British Columbia and was designing a giant seagoing canoe.  I love this book. It showed me at a pretty critical point in my life that brillance didn't have to be about achievement.  It taught me about purpose and passion and, of course balance...  I decided I wanted to fall somewhere in between reaching for the stars and feeling the firm ground beneath my feet.  Pretty radical, huh... did I mention my parents were hippies? 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great summer read for me! I am going to add that on my list!

    ReplyDelete