Thursday, July 8, 2010

Generating an Argument

I really like this lesson format.  It is one that I've been trying out with varying degrees of success for the last 8 years.  It is authenic and student centered.  I like the article's suggestions on on line data sources.  Using real data is even more meaningful.  Tom Snyder Productions makes "kits" for middle school that follow this format and my students love them!!!  I'm thinking about a project about polar sea ice and polar bears.  My students were captivated by the idea of "pizzlies" or "groler bears."  We do live in brown bear (grizzly) country! That makes it pretty high interest to them.  Every kid will have a bear story to tell, I'm sure. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! Don't you think that this argument model is so similar to what we have been doing in the SILC program? I found it very easy and comfortable thanks to all our inquiry knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it really is similar. I'm so glad to have had that experience-I'm going to miss it this year!

    ReplyDelete